Saturday, April 28, 2012

Kale Chips

Here is an addictive but totally healthy alternative to potato chips. Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around. Baking kale results in a slightly nutty, very delicately crunchy chip. Not a great choice for dipping, but delicious enough to stand on their own. I typically season with sea salt, but you can add any spices you'd like. Tonight I added some rosemary garlic seasoning. Yum! I think the flat-leafed Lacinato kale works best, but any type of kale tastes great. The key to a crunchy chip is to bake them low and slow, and make sure the leaves are thoroughly dry before tossing with the remaining ingredients. When I know I'm going to be making kale chips, I typically rinse the leaves and lay them out on a towel on the counter to dry for several hours. I do the rest of the prep right in the pan, but if you'd rather use a bowl, feel free. Also, be careful not to oversalt the chips. I have made that mistake a few times. Better to err on the light side. Enjoy this healthy, crunchy snack alone, or crumbled over salad or veggies!

Ingredients
1 bunch of kale
1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
  2. Rinse kale, remove center ribs and stems, and dry the leaves with a towel.
  3. Place in a single layer on parchment-lined baking sheets. (I use three so they are not overcrowded.)
  4. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and any other seasonings you'd like.
  5. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crisp.



No comments:

Post a Comment