Monday, April 9, 2012

Bacon and Egg Salad

One of the greatest things about the day after Easter is the abundance of hard-boiled eggs just asking to be put to good use. And while I love the colored eggs, I am also happy to peel off those bright shells and eat the yummy protein-packed insides. As I was peeling the eggs, I thought about how to make my normal egg salad a bit more paleo. I could throw some ham in there, but I decided instead to bake a little bit of bacon and mix it in. So there you have it, bacon and egg salad! I used what is in my fridge as far as veggies go, so feel free to substitute. I chopped the veggies today, but you could also put them in a food processor and pulse a couple of times if you are looking for a shortcut. This would also be good with a couple of extra pieces of bacon sprinkled on top as a garnish. Enjoy!

Makes about 5 servings.

Ingredients
12 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced (I used and egg slicer.)
1/2 red pepper, diced
5 radishes, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, diced
4 green onions, sliced
6 strips of bacon, cooked crisp and diced
1/2 cup paleo mayonnaise
1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
paprika

Preparation

  1. Use a mixing spoon to combine eggs and the next six ingredients (through bacon) in a large bowl.
  2. Whisk together mayonnaise, coconut milk, and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over egg mixture, season with salt and pepper, and combine.
  3. Scoop salad onto a plate or bowl and sprinkle with paprika. This is also good in a lettuce wrap.


No comments:

Post a Comment