Friday, March 11, 2011

Pizzuchini

I am always looking for new ways to capture the pizza experience paleo style, so when I came across a photo of a pizzuchini, I was immediately on board. This recipe is versatile--feel free to substitute your favorite pizza toppings. These are also more filling than they look. You can definitely get 4 servings from this recipe. If you have really big zucchinis, you will only need two. I cut up the leftovers and had them with eggs for breakfast. Yum!

Adapted from dashingdish.com.


Serves 4.

Ingredients
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
3 or 4 medium-to-large zucchini squash
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce, divided (I used Gabriel's marinara.)
1/4 cup black olives, sliced
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain all but about 1 Tbsp fat.
  3. Add onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute until onion turns translucent, about 7 minutes. 
  4. Add 1 cup tomato sauce and basil. Stir to combine.
  5. While preparing sauce, halve zucchinis lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Place zucchini boats on a large, rimmed baking sheet. If the zucchini doesn't lie flat, cut a thin piece off of the bottom to allow it to lie flat.
  6. Fill zucchini boats with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with black olives and drizzle with remaining tomato sauce.
  7. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.


2 comments:

  1. OMGoodness, what a great recipe.....and so timely too. My Mother in Law has the crookneck and zucchini in her garden so I always have squash in the summer. Our 9 year old "doesn't eat zucchini, so I stuffed two crooked neck for him and he had seconds! I added a little bit of almond cheese to the top instead of additional sauce. It was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anon! Zucchini are so bountiful this time of year and this is a great way to eat them. Sounds like I need your 9-year-old to talk to my 9-year-old so she'll try some new foods, too! I'm glad you liked it--thanks for letting me know!

      Delete