Thursday, March 3, 2011

Jicama Blueberry Salad

I made this salad on Father's Day after visiting with my parent and sampling the salad that my mom had made. It was so delicious, light, and refreshing that I  happily accepted her offering of ingredients to go home and make my own batch. This recipe involves a little chopping, but it comes together pretty quickly anyway. It originally calls for sliced red onion, but I forgot to get the onion from my mom so I subbed with the green onion I had on hand. Feel free to use whatever form of onion you have. I rarely eat jicama, but this salad makes me want to have it more often. We had the salad with grilled lobster but it would be a complete meal on its own with some chilled shrimp or chicken tossed in. The leftovers stayed fresh for several days in the refrigerator.

Adapted from a Naturipe Farms recipe.


Serves 6.

Ingredients
1/2 of one large jicama, about 4 cups, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
6 ounces fresh blueberries, washed and drained
1 orange or red bell pepper, cored and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
1/2 English cucumber, peeled and diced
1/2 cup green onion, white and green parts, sliced thin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/8 tsp sea salt

Preparation

  1. Combine jicama, blueberries, red pepper, cucumber, green onion, and cilantro in a large salad bowl.
  2. Whisk together lime juice and sea salt in a small bowl. Drizzle over vegetables.
  3. Toss to combine.

5 comments:

  1. Lot of good crunch and taste is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Thanks for the inspiration, Mom! :)

      Delete
  2. Just made this the other day for a party! I love it for a light and fresh crunch. Got multiple comments on it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, pitootsky. I brought this too a party this weekend, too, and it was a hit. Something a little bit different and it holds up well. Glad you liked it! Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete