Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tarragon Chicken Thighs with Rainbow Chard

This recipe came about when I knew my main ingredients for dinner but had no idea what I wanted to do with them. My poor planning resulted in a reasonably quick and very tasty meal. I had plenty of time to think while I was removing fat from the chicken thighs--definitely the most time-consuming part of this meal. If you can find thighs that are trimmed, it will save you the hassle. I also cut the chard on the weekend so that all I had to do was put it in the pan. The trimming and chopping doesn't take that long, but it is one step that you can complete in advance. This was my first experience with chard. Thanks to my friend Sarah for sharing her recipe with me! The rainbow chard would be a pretty accompaniment to any meal. Enjoy!

Serves 3-4.


Ingredients
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat removed
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried tarragon
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
sea salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil
2 bunches rainbow chard, ends trimmed, leaves cut into thin ribbons, and stalks sliced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon

Preparation

  1. Warm olive oil in a large rimmed skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken thighs in the skillet and sprinkle with garlic powder, tarragon, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Cook thighs for about 5 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Once cooked, remove from pan and keep warm on a plate covered with foil.
  2. Add garlic and remaining red pepper to pan and stir until fragrant, about one minute. 
  3. Add chard to pan and toss with garlic and pan juices. Saute for about 2 minutes or until chard starts to wilt. 
  4. Cover pan and cook until chard is tender, about 3-4 minutes. 
  5. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with lemon juice. Gently toss to combine.
  6. To serve, place 2-3 chicken thighs on each plate and serve rainbow chard on the side.



No comments:

Post a Comment