Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Seafood Chowder

In an attempt to clean out some miscellaneous seafood I had in the freezer, I decided to make seafood chowder. Since I was out for a couple of hours this evening, I did all of my chopping in advance so that when I got home, it only took me about 10-15 minutes to make dinner. This chowder had a great flavor and the jalapeno adds just the right amount of subtle heat. You could definitely serve this over cauliflower rice, but I just had it straight up. Enjoy!

Adapted from simplyrecipes.com.


Serves 3-4.

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
2/3 cup fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes, with their juices
1 tsp tomato paste
8 ounces clam juice
2/3 cup chicken stock
1/2 pound white fish (I used mahi mahi), cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 pound bay scallops or quartered sea scallops
1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced*

*I wanted some heat so I left some of the seeds in. For a milder chowder, remove all of the seeds or leave the pepper out altogether.

Preparation
Simmer seafood for 5 minutes
or until cooked through.
  1. Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or deep skillet. Add onions, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
  2. Add parsley, tomatoes, and tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
  3. Add clam juice and broth and bring to a simmer over low or medium-low heat. 
  4. Increase heat to medium, add seafood, and simmer for 5 more minutes or until seafood is cooked through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment