Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Zucchini Ribbons with Mint, Cucumber, and Lemon

Zucchini and cucumbers were in my CSA basket yesterday and this is a perfect way to enjoy them. I
like cutting my zucchini into ribbons to eat either sauteed or, in this case, raw. The thinner the better for this recipe. My mandoline was not cutting the ribbons thin enough so, about midway through, I switched to my Y-peeler and was much happier with the results. I am very lucky to have a neighbor who grows mint--and is very generous with it. (Thanks, Michelle!) This recipe makes a lot, so feel free to scale it back or enjoy the leftovers the next day. The bright flavors of this dish are the perfect complement to the Persian-spiced chicken kabobs.

Adapted from epicurious.com.


Serves 6.

Ingredients
6 small to medium zucchini squash, green or yellow, sliced with a mandoline or Y-peeler into thin ribbons (I found my Y-peeler gave me a better cut.)
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 cup Vidalia or Maui onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 large onion)
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh mint leaves, coarsely chopped, divided
2 tsp finely grated lemon peel
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (I just got the OXO juicer and LOVE it!)
2 Tbsp walnut or olive oil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preparation
  1. Place zucchini slices in a large bowl.
  2. Add cucumber, onion, 1/2 of chopped mint, and lemon peel. Stir gently to combine.
  3. Whisk lemon juice and oil in a small bowl, pour over zucchini mixture and toss to coat.
  4. Season with salt and generously with pepper.
  5. Cover and refrigerate for 1-3 hours to allow flavors to combine.
  6. To serve, divide mixture evenly among plates. Garnish with remaining mint.


No comments:

Post a Comment