Monday, January 24, 2011

Paleo Biscuits and Gravy

My nephew, Alex, is largely responsible for me checking out this recipe. Actually, I credit Alex with our switch to the paleo lifestyle. When he moved in with us last January, he said he'd like to give it a try. At the time, he had been CrossFitting for 2 years and and my husband, David, had been a CrossFitter for about 3 years. I was game (and the one who cooks!), so off we went on our paleo journey! Alex requested biscuits and gravy for his birthday breakfast this year and I found this awesome recipe. I usually make it on the weekend, but the biscuits actually taste better the second day, so feel free to double the recipe and have them throughout the week. It is amazing how the seasonings take over in the gravy, leaving no noticeable coconut flavor. I made this for my mother-in-law once and she had no idea it wasn't from a traditional recipe. This is yummy comfort food at it's best!

Adapted from robbwolf.com.


Serves 3-6, depending on your appetite.

Ingredients
Biscuits
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cold grass-fed butter
6 egg whites
coconut oil
Gravy
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
2 Tbsp arrowroot powder
1 can full-fat coconut milk, well shaken
1/4 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp dried, rubbed sage
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt

Preparation
Biscuits
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Combine flours (I sift mine), salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. 
  3. Add cold butter and pulse until it forms pea-sized crumbles. Transfer to a small bowl and wipe food processor out with a damp cloth.
  4. Place egg whites in food processor and pulse until frothy. Add flour mixture back in and pulse to combine. (Alternatively, you can whip the eggs in a separate bowl and add them into flour mixture in the food processor.)
  5. Scoop batter into 6 muffin tins and press down gently with your fingers. The tins will be about 3/4 full. Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned.
    NOTE: The biscuits will not rise.
  6. Remove from tins and serve warm, topped with gravy.
Gravy
  1. Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking meat into small chunks.  Remove cooked sausage from pan using a slotted spoon. Set aside. Leave about 1 Tbsp sausage grease and all of the stuck-on bits of sausage in the pan; discard any remaining fat. My sausage left no measurable fat in the pan, so I added 1 Tbsp coconut oil.
  2. Reduce heat to medium. Add arrowroot powder to pan, and whisk together with grease/oil for about 1 minute. The mixture will be very thick, almost dry. Add 1/3 can of coconut milk and continue to whisk until combined. Continue to add remaining coconut milk, 1/3 can at a time, whisking until all milk is incorporated.
  3. Add fennel, sage, cayenne, salt, and pepper, whisking to incorporate. Add sausage back into gravy and stir to combine. Heat for 1-2 minutes and serve immediately over biscuits. YUM!

5 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a good flourless gravy recipe. This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laura! You won't be disappointed with this one. You would never know the gravy is paleo...it's delicious! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam, I love your blog! I made this recipe yesterday. I LOVED the gravy, my only complaint was the biscuits. Nothing wrong with your recipe, just wasn't a "biscuit" texture like we're used to. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments, Anon! So glad you like Paleo Table! The gravy is definitely the best part of this meal. I have since switched over to this biscuit recipe, which I think has a better flavor and texture: http://www.paleotable.com/2011/01/buttery-almond-biscuits.html. You might like it better, too. It's sometimes hard to capture a true non-paleo baked goods texture in a paleo recipe. My best translation, by far is the recently posted scones recipe. I think I may try to improve on the biscuits now, too. Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Are almond meal and almond flour interchangeable? I have meal, but not flour. Wondering if I need together flour. Excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete