Saturday, January 1, 2011

Kale with Coconut Milk and Bacon

Adapted from Paleo4Health

I was first introduced to kale last year when I joined a local CSA. I did a lot of experimenting last summer, but when I tried this recipe, it beat all the others hands‐down. I did not use low‐sodium beef broth, so I skipped the added salt.

Ingredients (4 servings)   

  • 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 slices bacon, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced Vidalia onion
  • 1 1½-pound bunch kale, washed and chopped (I used 3 small bunches)
  •  ½ cup organic coconut milk
  •  1 cup low-sodium beef broth
  •  salt and freshly ground black pepper


Instructions
  1. In a large sauté pan, add olive oil and bacon and cook over medium heat until bacon begins to crisp and renders its fat.
  2. Add onions and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes.
  3. Add kale and sauté until it wilts and combines with the onion and bacon.
  4. Add coconut milk and broth and continue to cook until kale softens, another 10 minutes.
  5. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment