Monday, January 3, 2011

Fish Tacos with Spicy Citrus Sauce


Adapted from Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals, Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier.


I love fish tacos so when I saw this recipe, I thought I'd give it a go. After looking at the original, I could tell I needed to kick up the spice a little bit. I also added my own mango avocado salsa to balance out the meal. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!


Ingredients
  • 2 pounds fish – I used black cod but mahi-mahi, halibut, or even tilapia would work
  • paprika
  • ground cayenne
  • sea salt
  • fresh-ground black pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • lime
  • red onion, sliced thin
  • 1 head of Boston lettuce, leaves separated, trimmed, rinsed,and patted dry
Note: All spices are to taste. I just sprinkled a bit on each filet before broiling. I also kept the skin on the fish, didn't flip it, and then flaked the cooked fish off of the skin when done, making sure to remove any tiny bones.


Preparation
  1. Season the fish with paprika, cayenne, sea salt,and black pepper. Drizzle olive oil over fish and rub gently to coat.
  2. Broil, pan fry, or grill fish for about 4 minutes per side. (I used my water broiler and left the skin on, so I did not have to flip my fish.)
  3. While fish cooks, make citrus dressing. When fish is done, squeeze a little lime juice over it.
Spicy Citrus Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • ¼ cup cilantro, minced
  • ½ - 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
  • 3 large or 4 small limes with their zest
Preparation

  1. Combine mayonnaise, garlic, cilantro, cayenne, and lime zest in a small bowl.
  2. Slowly add in lime juice until the dressing is the flavor and consistency you want.
  3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Mango Avocado Salsa
Ingredients
  • 1 mango, peeled, pitted, and cut in ½-inch dice
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 green onion, white and green parts, sliced thin
  • ½ large or 1 small jalepeno, cored and diced, with seeds (optional for heat)
  • juice of 1 lime
  • fresh-ground black pepper
Preparation 

  1. Gently combine mango, avocado, onion, and jalepeno in a medium bowl.
  2. Drizzle with lime juice and toss to coat.
  3. Sprinkle with pepper.
To serve:
Fill lettuce leaves with fish, drizzle with citrus dressing, and top with mango salsa. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. this was fantastic...made it with halibut and added bit more cayenne, and loved it! yummy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, kk! I like my food spicy, too. And I love the combination of flavors in this recipe. Thanks for the sharing your comments!

    ReplyDelete