Friday, January 28, 2011

Crispy Salami Chips with Thyme Mustard

I came across this recipe the other day and decided to try it for a little party we had this weekend. Very easy and very yummy! The chips crisp up nicely. Be sure to use nitrate-free, thinly sliced salami for the best results. These go really fast so don't be afraid to make extras. I like to keep some salami in the refrigerator for a quick snack when friends drop by. Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think!

Adapted from realsimple.com.


Ingredients
24 thin slices nitrate-free salami (I use Applegate Farms.)
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (I chopped with my new Microplane herb mill. Loved it!)

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Arrange salami in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crisp. Using tongs, remove from pan and place on paper towel or a cooling rack to cool.
  4. While salami cooks, combine mustard and thyme in a small bowl.
  5. To serve, arrange salami slices around mustard dip.


7 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, I'm having a hard time finding the Applegate Salami, so far I'm only finding the Pepperoni. Where did you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heidi! I found the salami at either Target or Sunset Foods. The pepperoni would work, too. You'd just have a smaller "chip."

      Delete
  2. Thanks Pam, I never thought to look at Target, I will give it a try. The Applegate farms Pepperoni is pretty large, like the Salami, I ended up finding Hormel Natural (clean) salami and made both, I liked the salami better than the pepperoni, but both were good, and a hit! The mustard was great, I just used some leftovers to make a vinaigrette, outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found something that worked. I've never tried the Hormel Natural but it's helpful to have options. Good use of the leftover mustard. The chips go so fast there's always some left. Thanks for the update and nice comments!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! I think my husband will LOVE these! I can't wait to try them with him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet he will, Elizabeth! I am actually making these right now for a party--yum! I hope you enjoy them soon!

      Delete
  4. What a great recipe! This make my kids and husband go crazy...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete