Saturday, January 15, 2011

Creamy Apple Slaw

I like the combination of sweet and crunchy in this cole slaw. This one reminds me of the cole slaw made with Ramen noodles from my pre-paleo days. Enjoy this sweet slaw to balance the heat of spicy pulled pork.

Serves 8-12.


Ingredients
1 very small or half medium-large head cabbage, sliced thin (use mandoline or food processor)
1/2 medium Granny Smith apple
2 carrots, shredded
4 green onions, sliced thin (white and green parts)
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, roasted (if you only have roasted, salted seeds on hand, omit any extra salt when seasoning)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg.)
1/2 to 1 cup paleo mayonnaise
1 tsp ground mustard
freshly ground black pepper (optional)
sea salt (optional)

Preparation
  1. Shred cabbage, apple, and carrot in food processor or using mandoline, or the old fashioned way with a good knife (it will just take longer). Squeeze dry with a paper towel and add to a large bowl.
  2. Add green onions and sunflower seeds and stir to combine.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar and mayonnaise. Pour over cabbage mixture and stir gently to coat.
  4. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
  5. Refrigerate 1 hour or more to let the flavors combine and the cabbage wilt.

4 comments:

  1. I made this yesterday and couldn't help thinking that the proportions may be a bit off?

    I used the smallest (red) head of cabbage I could find and had to use 2 very large carrots & a whole apple (and it probably still wasn't enough) and also ended up using 1.5 cups of mayo (Your paleo mayo recipe, btw, which is very good!) and only *just* had enough to 'cover' the veggies and certainly not enough to make it creamy as the picture above....and we got enough coleslaw for the rest of the week!.
    It's still good, but I would only use 1/2 to maybe 2/3 the amount of cabbage next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jakob. This recipe does make a lot. I will note that and update the recipe to account for the variance in cabbage size. Mine was a small one from our CSA and I should have noted that. Sorry about the confusion. And glad you like the mayo recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, even my wife found the recipe agreeable, so I remade it this weekend and just increased the amount of apple/carrot/onion :).

    I'm currently 'testing' paleo recipes for a full-on 30 day challenge and this one definitely a keeper. (And I'll be using this site a lot for reference!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jakob! Good luck with your 30-day challenge. That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete