Monday, January 10, 2011

Asian Coconut-Milk Shrimp with Curried Cauliflower

Okay, this is a good one. Quick and delicious! I whipped this up in about 20 minutes and was kind of surprised at how good it was. Roast the curried cauliflower while you are making the shrimp. You can also toast the almonds in the oven at the same time as the cauliflower. Give this meal a try and let me know what you think!

Serves 4.


Adapted from Food&Wine Magazine's 2002 Cookbook.

Ingredients
1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest (I use this microplane to zest. It works great!)
3/4 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
sea salt
1 1/2 pounds shelled and deveined medium raw shrimp (wild, if possible)
2 Tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1/4 cup raw almonds, toasted and chopped
curried cauliflower, chopped into bite-size pieces

Preparation
  1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. When it begins to shimmer, add the chopped shallot; cook over medium heat until softened, about 1 minute.
  2. Stir in the jalapeno and lime zest, then add the coconut milk. Season generously with salt and bring to a simmer.
  3. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring frequently, until opaque, about 5 minutes. 
  4. Stir in the chopped cilantro. 
  5. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over curried cauliflower, sprinkle with the almonds, and serve.



2 comments:

  1. Pam - I've been making this recipe for a year and it is easily one of the favorites in my rotation. Made it again last night and thought that I needed to let you know how much I enjoy it! An easy recipe with such unique flavors - the curried cauliflower is a MUST and is also so easy to prepare. Never needed to make any modifications - will use half an onion sometimes if I don't have shallot on hand. Don't know where you found this gem of a recipe but am so glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chelsea! Thanks so much for the nice note! I remember the first time I made this dish was on a Friday night after a long week. I really appreciated the simplicity of the recipe and how delicious it was. This recipe is a great one and I'm glad you enjoy it as much as we do!

      Delete